Plumber Interview Questions
What is the role of a Plumber?Plumbers are responsible for installing, repairing, and maintaining plumbing system/fixtures in residential, commercial and industrial facilities. In addition to that, they are also required for waterproofing basements and solving drainage related issues in a building. The qualifications of the candidates for this job vary with your requirements. For instance, industrial Plumbers may need a different skill set than service Plumbers. Likewise, Plumbers belonging to construction companies will need special knowledge like installation of plumbing & drainage systems from scratch. In addition to technical knowledge, also evaluate the candidates for other skills needed for this job such as communication skills, ability to work safely and follow instructions, a keen eye for details etc. When interviewing more experienced candidates, dedicate some time to evaluate their knowledge of material, tools, and techniques as well as their experience in different settings (e.g. residential/commercial). If you are hiring for a senior position, make sure to evaluate them for their leadership and management skills as well. The candidates should have problem-solving skills as well, which can be evaluated by asking them how they would react under certain circumstances. To assess the candidates for the above-mentioned qualities, use the following Plumber interview questions.
Operational and Situational questions
- Suppose a customer tells you that he has been getting low water pressure lately. How would you fix this problem?
- Have you got any sort of license or certification related to your job?
- What safety precautions do you take while installing or repairing a plumbing system?
- Describe the process of installation of an entire plumbing system in a newly constructed building.
- What considerations do you keep in mind while installing a drainage system?
- Suppose a customer asks you to install a new toilet. After you have removed the old one, you discovered that the floor is rotting, what would you do?
- Have you ever installed water-based floor heating systems?
- Describe the process of installation of an air-conditioning unit or some other gas/liquid heating systems.
- How would you open the clogged drains and pipes?
- Which material would you recommend for drainage pipes, copper or PVC?
- What are the advantages of using PVC water pipes?
- Why is it recommended to use steel pipes under a sink basin as compared to PVC pipes?
- What are some disadvantages of conventional water heaters? What would you suggest as an alternative?
- Describe the process of waterproofing a basement.
- What is the method for installing a backwater valve at the main drains of a building?
- Have you ever installed a shower having multiple shower heads? How did you keep the water pressure high?
- Describe a time when you provided excellent customer service.
- What is the thing you hate the most about your job? Also, describe the reason behind it.
- Describe a time when you worked in a team to complete a specific project. What was your role?
- What was the most challenging task you have ever performed as a Plumber? Also, describe how did you overcome the challenges to make it successful?
- Has it ever happened that your manager provided you incomplete instructions about a project? What did you do?