To select the right candidate for the post of Financial Analyst in your company, you need to prepare in advance. Discover the best and most important interview questions that will help you identify the skillful candidates.
Financial Analyst Interview Questions
Financial Analysts are recruited by banks, insurance firms, and other businesses. Their primary responsibility is to evaluate stocks and bonds and help businesses make a sound investment decision and solid financial plans.
Managers rely on Financial Analysts to maintain the stability of their company’s investment health. They constantly adapt and learn changing market trends in order to forecast investment opportunities and risks.
Qualifications to look for
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics or related field.
- CPA/MBA preferred
Skills to look for
- Outstanding critical thinking ability
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work independently and in team
- Ability to streamline multiple functions
Experience to look for
- Strong financial modeling experience
Here is an assortment of Financial Analyst interview questions that will help in picking the potential one for your organization.
Operational and Situational questions
- How will explain the concept of ROE/RR/solvency to someone who doesn’t have a financial background?
- Name the important elements that you consider while deciding on a loan.
- Envisage that a company shows positive cash flow and management asks you if that means the company is doing great. What do you reply?
- If the senior management asks you to prepare a quick report that presents financial data they are interested in. What will you include in the report?
- Suppose you have to convince an investor for the company’s overall health. Can you mention the important metrics or concepts you would present?
- What is the best metric to use for analyzing a company’s inventory?
- Can you tell me how your credentials make you better at your work?
- Do you have experience in DCF analysis and benchmarking?
- Define NPV. Where is it used?
- Mention four financial statements and also tell how they are connected with each other.
- What is cash flow statement? Explain it in brief.
- Can you tell how the income statement changes if the debts owed to the company increases?
- Can you name few ratios that help in evaluating a company?
- What information would you need to make an annual forecasting report?
- How would you rate your proficiency in MS Excel?
- Name the financial analysis software you have used.
- How do you select a project? What methods do you use? How would IRR and WACC help you?
- What is important to consider when deciding on investment?
- Which stocks do you frequently track? Why?
- Describe a time when you had a large amount of data. How did you ensure accuracy?
- Was there a time when you found a mistake among a large set of data? If yes, then elaborate it.
- Share the most complex financial problem that you had to solve?
- Describe one of your most successful projects.
- Can you tell me about a time when your knowledge of current events helped you in achieving better results?
- What do you think was your most successful project and why?
- Explain the time when your advice helped the senior management make a wise decision.
- Was there a time when you made a bad financial decision? Also, tell how you would avoid such happening again?