Architect Interview Questions
The Architect interview questions given in this template will help you in hiring the most suitable candidate for this job.
What is the role of an Architect?
Architects are responsible for planning and designing different kinds of built assets and infrastructure. They make sure that the buildings and the spaces around them are designed aesthetically and efficiently by creating architectural drawings. These drawings form the basis of subsequent structural, mechanical and electrical drawings needed for constructing the project. In short, the Architects serve as a bridge between creativity and practicality. That’s why the most important quality for the job of an Architect is innovation. The candidates must be able to think out-of-the-box and should have a creative mind.
Architects should have a sound knowledge of many construction-related fields so as to collaborate with different departments within the construction and real estate industry. They must also have adequate knowledge of public safety so as to design the structures accordingly. They must hold at least a Bachelor’s degree and must have the license to practice Architecture. As per the experience of the candidates, it totally depends on your requirements. If you are hiring them for designing utilitarian and functionality structures then go for the experienced candidates. On the other hand, if your company provides unique and innovative construction then select the most innovative ones, regardless of their experience.
Along with the academic credentials and technical knowledge, the candidates must have good leadership and communication skills. They must know how to work in a team environment since they will have to work with many people belonging to different fields within the construction industry. They must also have fast thinking and problem-solving capabilities. And most importantly, they must have good customer service skills and patience to ensure that the clients are satisfied with their work. To assess the candidates for the above-mentioned qualities, we have put together the following Architect interview questions.
Operational and Situational questions
- Suppose a client asks you to design a house from a picture of some magazine. Would you be able to design it despite the limited information?
- What would you do if your clients ask you to design unrealistic structures? How would you ensure that the clients understand the difficulties in such projects and willingly change their minds?
- Suppose you are assigned the design of a new kind of structure which has never been created by anyone before. Would you take this project? If so, how would you execute it?
- Which software do you use for making 2D architectural drawings? How much experience do you have with AutoCAD?
- Which software do you use for 3D modeling and rendering of buildings? According to you, which is better software for 3D modeling, Autodesk Revit or SketchUp?
- How do you ensure that your designed structures are energy efficient?
- Describe any creative idea you had that resulted in an improvement of any of your past projects.
- Are you familiar with the concept of sustainable construction?
- Which was the biggest project, you have ever undertaken?
- What considerations do you keep in mind while selecting materials for your design? Have you designed wooden and steel structures before?
- How creative are you on a scale of 1 to 10?
- How do you manage the scope-creep within a project? How do you ensure that the priorities and scope of a project remain same?
- What are your methods for gathering the information about a project before starting it?
- Tell us about a time when you had to persuade a stakeholder about something. Did you succeed?
- How do you handle the clients who want numerous revisions in design?
- How do you coordinate and collaborate with other parties within the construction industry? What problems do you face and how do you resolve them?