This Technical Support Engineer job description template can be posted to online job forums and career pages for the recruitment of candidates. You can modify the requirements and responsibilities given in this template according to the specific need of your company.
Technical Support Engineer Key Responsibilities
- Research and identify solutions for software as well as hardware issues
- Diagnose and troubleshoot technical issues, including network configuration and account setup
- Ask customers targeted questions for a quick understanding of the root cause of the problem
Technical Support Engineer Job Statement
We are hiring a qualified Technical Support Engineer for providing enterprise-level technical support to our clients such as diagnosing and troubleshooting software/hardware problems as well as helping with the installation of programs and applications.
What does a Technical Support Engineer do?
A Technical Support Engineer resolves network issues, configures operating systems, uses email/chat applications to give quick answers/solutions to clients’ issues, and develops remote desktop connections for providing immediate support for solving complex problems. A Technical Support Engineer also contacts clients using phone calls and/or provides clearly written technical manuals and instructions. The ultimate goal is to ensure customer satisfaction by providing timely, accurate, and efficient solutions to all technical problems.
In order to qualify for this role, you must have an academic degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, or Information Technology. Microsoft, Linux, Cisco, or any similar certification is preferred but not required. To succeed in this role, you must be passionate about helping customers with computer-related issues and must possess the ability to simply explain technical details to a non-technical audience.
Technical Support Engineer Job Responsibilities
- Researching and identifying solutions for software as well as hardware issues
- Asking customers specific questions to quickly understand the root of problems
- Taking ownership of reported customer issues and seeing problems through to resolution
- Researching, diagnosing, troubleshooting, and identifying solutions for resolving system issues
- Following standard procedures for proper escalation of unresolved problems to the relevant internal teams (e.g. software developers)
- Documenting technical knowledge in manuals and notes
- Maintaining long-term relationships with clients
- Following up with clients for ensuring their IT systems are functioning properly after troubleshooting
- Preparing timely and accurate reports
- Ensuring all issues and problems are properly documented/logged
- Prioritizing and managing several unresolved problems at the same time
- Referring to internal databases or external resources for providing accurate tech solutions
- Providing accurate and prompt feedback to customers
- Communicating with clients through various channels (e.g. phone, email, chat) until their technical issues get resolved
Technical Support Engineer Job Requirements
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a relevant field
- Additional certification in any technology is a plus (e.g. Linux, Cisco, Microsoft)
- Prior experience as an IT Help Desk Technician, Desktop Support Engineer, Technical Support Engineer, or a similar role
- Experience with Linux/Mac OS/Windows environments
- Sound understanding of all tech products (e.g. mobile devices, computer systems)
- Familiarity with help desk software (such as Zendesk) and remote desktop applications
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to deliver simple and step-by-step technical assistance, both verbal and written
- Exceptional time-management and organizational skills