Technical Programmer Position Overview
Apart from the technology sector, increasing number of businesses today rely on coding and hire a Programmer. Programmers act as a backbone of every good software. They also play a critical role in the ongoing maintenance and development of the software and hence are a valuable asset to the company. As such, programming is fast becoming the most in-demand skills across industries these days.
Including a written assignment to assess the coding skills of candidates would also be a good approach. As most engineering roles need collaboration and meeting deadlines you should pick candidates with good problem-solving skills.
For programmers, it is important to stay up to date with new technologies and enjoy working with a team. Candidates who exhibit these skills and have the enthusiasm to broaden their knowledge would be the right fit.
Get a snapshot of programming interview questions in order to hire the best candidate for your company.
Interview Questions for Junior Programmers
- Name the programming languages you are most fluent with.
- Explain the difference between an abstract and an interface. Also, when will you use one over the other.
- How would you debug a program while it is being used?
- How will you troubleshoot a crashing program?
- Name some limitations of a web environment versus a window environment.
- What is your field of expertise?
- What are the pros and cons of cloud systems?
Interview Questions for Senior Programmers
- Suppose we want to install a new software system. Mention the research methods you would use and steps you would follow before deployment.
- Have you ever implemented major improvements to an IT infrastructure? Name them.
- What is the best way to gather user and system requirements?
- Describe the most complex project you have managed. How did you manage to deliver the work on deadlines?
- Elaborate a situation when you explained technical details to the non-technical audience.
- What guidance will you give to a new team member?