This Senior Accountant job description template can be posted to online job forums and career pages to recruit candidates. The Senior Accountant job description, its requirements, and responsibilities, given in this template can be modified according to the specific need of your company.
- Analyze and summarize financial information so as to identify the financial status of the company
- Produce accurate accounting reports and also present their results
- Verify, allocate, post and reconcile accounts receivable and payable
We are hiring a Senior Accountant for overseeing all accounting operations of our company by controlling, verifying, and managing our financial transactions.
What does a Senior Accountant do?
You are responsible for preparing month-end closing procedures, maintaining the general ledger, and reconciling bank statements and accounts. Your ultimate goal would be to ensure efficiency and accuracy in our transactions. In order to succeed in this role, you must have experience in managing and controlling a team of Junior Accountants.
You must also be able to analyze financial forecasts and reports by using accounting principles and your excellent analytical skills.
- At least a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics or a related field
- Professional certification (e.g. CPA or CFA)
- Prior experience as a Senior Accountant
- Sound knowledge of all accounting processes and procedures
- Sound knowledge of all accounting standards (e.g. GAAP)
- Familiarity with the latest business trends
- Familiarity with accounting statements
- Experience with month-end/year-end closing process and general ledger functions
- Experience with accounting software (e.g. QuickBooks, FreshBooks)
- Expert-level knowledge of MS Excel, especially pivot tables and Vlookups
- Sound mathematical and quantitative analysis skills
- Strong communication skills and a keen eye for details
- An analytical mind with a problem-solving attitude
- Analyzing and summarizing financial information so as to identify the financial status of the company
- Producing accurate accounting reports and also presenting their results
- Verifying, allocating, posting and reconciling accounts receivable and payable
- Liaising with Accounting Manager and Financial Manager for the purpose of improving financial procedures
- Ensuring compliance with all standards (e.g. GAAP)
- Developing and documenting business processes and policies for maintaining as well as strengthening internal controls
- Supporting month-end/year-end closing process
- Planning, assigning and reviewing staff’s work
- Directing internal and external audits for ensuring compliance
- Assisting with tax returns and tax audits
- Preparing financial statements and producing the budget in accordance with the schedule
- Providing input into the company’s goal-setting process
- Participating in the setting of financial standards and forecast processes
- Managing Junior Assistants and Bookkeepers
- Reviewing and recommending modifications to accounting procedures and systems
- Providing technical advice and support to senior management
- Spotting errors and suggesting ways to improve efficiency