Network Engineer Position Overview
As an organization grows in size, so does the complexity of its network. So, hiring a skilled Network Engineer who can strategize the system architecture, create plans, handle hardware and wiring, troubleshoot computer networks, etc. becomes imperative for the smooth functioning of an organization’s day-to-day business. Network Engineers plan and construct data communication networks to create a reliable connection between a wide array of devices. They ensure that the network runs uninterrupted to allow the employees stay productive.
When you look for a Network Engineer, make sure to find someone who’s a team player, a problem solver, and willing to constantly learn and improve his craft and knowledge. Someone who can drift among teams, and systems, to keep the business flowing, in a safe and secure networked organization will be an ideal candidate.
Qualifications to look for:
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science or related field
- Voluntary certification in the same domain is a plus
Skills to look for:
- Organizational skills
- Implementation of security protocols
- Exceptional troubleshooting skills
- Customer-service skills
- Knowledge of telecommunications and electronics
- Familiarity with network monitoring, network security, and administration software programs
- Knowledge of network switches, network analyzers, and wireless LAN servers
Here’s a comprehensive list of Network Engineer Interview Questions that will act as a silver bullet to help you hire an ideal candidate faster.
Operational and Circumstantial Interview Questions
- How will you connect two computers for file sharing without using a router or hub?
- Explain the measurements that you will take to protect an internal network from external threats.
- When a website does not load, how do you troubleshoot the problem?
Job-Specific Interview Questions
- Define proxy servers. How do they protect computer networks?
- Explain the layers of OSI reference model.
- What is the use of encryption on a network?
- Explain the common software problems that cause network defects? How do you resolve them?
- Name a few networking protocols that you are familiar with.
- Mention the pros and cons of private IP address.
Behavioral Interview Questions
- Tell us about the toughest engineering challenge that you ever faced. How did you handle it?
- How do you keep yourself updated with the latest engineering trends?
- How will you explain technical details to a non-technical audience?