The following is a compilation of sample interview questions for hiring cleaning staff and a guide to evaluating each candidate on the basis of their skills.
Cleaner Interview Questions
A Cleaner is responsible for cleaning and sweeping the facilities. A Cleaner’s duties may include, but are not limited to, sweeping and polishing the floors, washing the windows, handling waste and recyclables, dealing with unpleasant scents, dusting cupboards, cabinets, furniture, and many more. In order to achieve the most out of this job, hiring experienced and well-organized candidates should be a primary concern. The job can be rather unpleasant, and at times tiresome. For this purpose, a candidate who is comfortable in such situations is ideal. The candidate must have a positive and open-minded approach to the task at hand, and must not refrain from any forms of repulsive tasks. It is common for a Cleaner to be assigned in areas where an employee’s personal belongings or company property are kept. That’s why, apart from testing the candidates and their experience with caretaking tasks, you should also assess their work ethics and honesty. The candidates’ availability should also be assessed, as their job might include working on weekends and in morning or night shifts.
Operational and Situational questions
- What do you consider to be the most significant duties when cleaning out a restroom?
- Are there any specific tasks that you might not be able to carry out? These can be due to allergies or other reasons.
- If you came across a personal item and you didn’t know the original owner, what would you do?
- How do you manage moving heavy furniture when you have to clean and/or vacuum it?
- Do you know about precautionary health and safety rules?
- Have you ever had any experiences with emergencies? If so, list any of your past experiences with emergencies. What would you traditionally do in case of an emergency?
- Do you have any first-hand experience with outdoor cleaning?
- Which cleaning products would you normally prefer to use?
- What is your ideal way to clean monitor screens?
- In how much time can you clean and sweep a working place of a minimum of ten offices?
- How would you rate green products to other products you’ve used, if you’ve ever used green products?
- Will you be able to work early morning or late night shifts?
- How would you treat different materials like granite, metal, wood etc.?
- Have you had any past experiences with cleaning machinery? What machines have you previously used?
- Have you ever been extra efficient and performed a task out of the ordinary? Please specify.
- Can you work in a team or do you prefer to work individually?
- Have you ever come across a co-worker breaking the rules of the office, specifically stealing? If so, what actions did you take in that situation?
- What was the most irritable task you had to perform in your previous job?