The balanced sample of bookkeeper interview questions below will help you in finding the competent candidate for your organization.
Bookkeeper Interview Questions
Bookkeepers serve as the key members of any business as they fulfill several financial transactions including sales, purchases, payments, and receipts. The primary responsibilities of Bookkeeper are to maintain accurate records and identify discrepancies. They use bookkeeping tools, pay attention to detail and practice integrity. Ensuring balance, accountability, and profitability of the organization are also some of their responsibilities.
Qualifications To Look For:
- High School Diploma in Accounting
- Certification from National Association of Certified Public Bookkeepers (NACPB)
Skills To Look For:
- Basic accounting skills
- A keen eye for details
- Computer skills
Experience To Look For:
- Experienced with basic accounting practices
- Experienced in working with spreadsheets and other accounting software.
Here you will get important bookkeeper interview questions that will help you in assessing the skills of the candidates.
Operational and Situational questions
- Which accounting software programs are you familiar with?
- How would you know if someone accidentally posted an adjusting journal entry to accounts receivable?
- What is depreciation expense?
- Does the accounts payable account, normally have a debit or credit balance?
- Tell me about a complicated project you were tasked with completing in deadline.
- Explain the balance sheet equation.
- How do you customize a report in QuickBooks?
- If a customer called in angry about charges on an invoice, what would you do?
- How would you handle a situation where an employee makes the same mistake repeatedly?
- What sort of financial reports were you responsible for preparing?
- What type of schedule are you looking to work?