Technical Lead Position Overview
The job of a Technical Lead (Tech Leads) is to manage a team of engineers and help the team in fixing errors in the code. They also take up the task of reviewing code and take responsibility for delivering high-quality technical projects.
Give attention to the contenders who have strong technical background along with the degree in Computer Science. Technical Leads and Team Leaders share their job duties as they both are responsible for managing projects end-to-end. Motivating their team members is also a part of their job.
They are knowledgeable and deliver successful technical solutions. Moreover, they offer directions and set an example for their team. You must include a written assignment to assess their skills. Therefore, it is vital to ask questions to test their knowledge of programming. Make sure you pick the one who can add value to your company.
Skills to look for:
- Technical excellence
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Approachability and availability
- Goal Oriented
- Attention to detail
This list of Technical Lead interview questions will help you hire the ideal contender for your organization.
Operational and Situational Interview Questions
- Suppose one of your team members suggests that a new hardware would help them in enhancing the team’s efficiency. How would you respond to this suggestion and how would you negotiate for new hardware with the IT Manager?
- What suggestion would you give to new team members to ensure they onboard well?
- Suppose you feel one of your team members would be a better fit for another team. What would be your first action and whom you will consult?
- How would you encourage your team members if you cross a deadline of a big project?
Role-specific Interview Questions
- Have you ever used IT help desk software? Can you tell me how such software is used to check and enhance remote systems?
- Mention the things that you do when reviewing the code of others. Name the tools that you use to test the quality of code.
- Can you name the research methods that you use to design a new software system? Mention the steps that you follow before its deployment.
- Which programming language you like the most and why? Are there any features that you would like to add in this language?
- How will you debug a program when it is being used?
Behavioral Interview Questions
- Do you have experience with implementing major improvements in an IT infrastructure?
- What measures will you take handle conflicts in your team?
- Describe a successful project that you have recently worked on? What was your contribution? Elaborate.
- In your previous experience, how did you ensure you meet deadlines for complex projects?
- Are you working on any side projects?
- How do you keep yourself updated with the latest technologies and trends?
- How will you keep the team motivated and improve the quality and productivity of the members?