As the sophistication of AI grows, many worry about unforeseen challenges, especially as companies and employees adopt AI tools to support their jobs. The AI market is also growing rapidly, with research firms forecasting a CAGR of 21.6% (2023-30) and 6.8% CAGR (2022-29). Over 91% of HR and TA leaders said that they were either using AI for recruiting or were planning to use it. AI recruiting platforms bring a host of benefits from taking over repetitive tasks and screening candidates to mitigating candidate fraud that make recruiters' lives easier.
With increasing adoption, growing sophistication, and legal concerns, companies must implement AI recruiting policies to mitigate risks.
What AI Recruiting Policies Should Companies Implement?
The AI recruitment space is rapidly evolving, but still in a state of flux . Companies can use the guidelines below as a base on which to establish equitable and unbiased recruiting procedures:
Prevention of Bias Policy
- Create and implement a set of guidelines to ensure bias is minimized and that the hiring process promotes fairness
- Set up an internal evaluation committee to periodically review the hiring process and audit the AI algorithm. This will help identify any potential bias that might creep in from data used to train the algorithm
Transparent Candidate Communication Policy
- Ensure that the candidate is aware that AI based tools will be used during the hiring process. Obtain consent from the candidate for the use of such tools
- Establish protocols for timely and clear communication to candidates during the interview process for any queries they might have
- Consider alternate arrangements for candidates who might not be able to, or are unwilling to participate in the recruiting process on an AI recruiting platform
- At the end of the process, seek feedback from candidates so that the AI based recruitment process can be refined and improved going forward
- Establish policies that call for strict governance for the collection, storage and handling of any candidate data. These policies should be updated regularly to ensure compliance with existing privacy regulations
- Implement security protocols that prevent mis-use and unauthorized access to stored candidate data
- Obtain informed consent from candidates on the use of their information and provide clear usage policies
Regular Monitoring and Improvement Policy
- Create a process that regularly monitors and evaluates AI recruiting systems that are used by the company
- AI algorithms should be reviewed and adjusted if necessary to maintain fairness and have no preset biases
- Conduct meetings with recruiters and hiring managers to receive regular feedback that can help optimize the AI recruitment process
Training and Skill Development Policy
- Provide regular training and have resources accessible that help keep internal recruiters and hiring managers up-to-date on the latest developments in AI technologies and tools used in the recruitment process
- Create a culture of collaboration and knowledge sharing when it comes to AI recruitment tools and processes
Staying Abreast of the Latest Regulations with the right AI Recruiting Policies
- Ensure that internal teams are up-to-date on the latest developments and regulatory and legal frameworks in the AI recruiting space
- Appoint an internal team that conducts regular compliance checks company wide. This ensures that all teams are in adherence to the latest regulations concerning AI recruitment policies
It’s imperative for companies who have adopted or are planning to adopt AI based recruiting tools and systems to implement a comprehensive set of AI recruiting policies to monitor and regulate the use of AI. These policies ensure that AI is used in the recruiting process as a means of aiding recruiters and hiring managers to find and hire the best talent.