Construction Manager Interview Questions
The Construction Manager interview questions given in this template will help you in hiring the most suitable candidate for this job.
Jump to section:
What is the role of a Construction Manager?
A Construction Manager, also known as Construction Project Manager, is the most important person in the construction projects. Construction Managers are responsible for planning, constructing and managing of infrastructure throughout its lifecycle. They lead the team of Architects, Engineers, Consultants, and Contractors associated with a project and manage the overall operations at the construction site. Construction Managers usually have a post-graduate degree in Construction Project Management, Civil Engineering or Architecture.
The construction industry is the riskiest and the most dynamic industry where a newbie can never hold a Managing position. So make sure to call only experienced persons for this job. Experience adds the much-required field knowledge to the portfolios of the candidates which can never be acquired by any sort of education.
Construction Managers should have a deep knowledge of Engineering, Management, Economics, and Law (Contract Law) since they manage every aspect of a construction project. Likewise, they also need to have a diverse set of qualities such as communication, leadership, problem-solving, and negotiation skills. To assess the candidates for the above-mentioned qualities, we have put together the following Construction Manager interview questions.
Operational and Situational questions
- What would you do if your project lags in schedule or overruns in cost? How would you prevent both of them?
- Suppose the workers at the site are not using safety equipment? What would you do?
- Are you familiar with the four dispute resolution mechanisms? How would you resolve a dispute between a site-engineer and a contractor, if any of the two claims against the other?
- Suppose that the site-workers have not been acting on your instructions lately, resulting in a poor quality work. What would you do?
- Suppose the project has been delayed due to a mistake on the contractor’s part. How would you deal with the situation and ensure that the contractor pays Liquidated Damages?
- How do you negotiate the terms of contract with the clients?
- Describe the first step in the planning of a construction project.
- How do you schedule the project and all the activities associated with it?
- Which software do you use for scheduling? Are you familiar with Primavera and MS Project?
- How do you obtain the licenses required for a construction project?
- What are the common problems you face while managing a construction project and how do you resolve them?
- How do you keep yourself updated on the progress of your work? Do you rely on progress reports or prefer to visit the site yourself?
- How do you make sure that all construction codes and regulations are being followed throughout the project?
- What are the characteristics of an ideal construction project?
- What is the biggest project that has been constructed under your supervision? Describe how you managed it including all details from its initiation to termination and handover.
- How do you manage and lead your team?
- Describe in detail an account of your failed project, if any? What was the reason for failure? How did you handle the situation?
- Have you ever managed more than one project at a time? Were they successful? If so, how?
- How many times have you negotiated the terms of a contract in your favor? How do you negotiate the budget for a project?
- Have you ever had a conflict with a client? How did you resolve it?