Truck Driver Interview Questions
The Truck Driver interview questions given in this template will give you an insight into what to look for in the candidates while interviewing them for this position.
What is the role of Truck Drivers?Truck Drivers mainly transport freight from one place to another. Their trip-lengths vary depending on the type of material they supply and for what purpose. Similarly, their qualifications also vary. Whether you are hiring the candidates for long or short haulage, make sure to check their driving record. The candidates must have valid commercial driver’s license (CDL) and other necessary certifications. If you are hiring the Drivers with their own trucks then don’t forget to check the insurance documents. While selecting the most suitable candidate for this job, you should give preference to the experienced Drivers. Secondly, you should check the driving skills of each candidate by a test drive. You should check whether the candidates are fully able to maneuver the trucks or not because most of the time, they would be driving in perilous routes. Apart from skills, also test your candidates for their technical knowledge. The candidates must be well aware of traffic regulations, GPS technology, trucks maintenance and some basic knowledge about large vehicles’ machinery. The candidates must also have a good sense of orientation and a sound knowledge of all sorts of roadmaps. They should also be good planners because planning is the key to success for this job. The best way of testing their navigation and planning skills is to ask them to plan a route. Lastly, the candidates must be familiar with the products they will be transporting for you. So make sure to ask some questions regarding that as well. To assess the candidates for the above-mentioned qualities, we have put together the following Truck Driver interview questions. These questions will help you in the selection of the best person for the job of a Truck Driver.
Operational and Situational questions
- Suppose you have to deliver a certain cargo to a client, but you are running late due to some unforeseen circumstances on the road. How would you make the delivery without compromising the safety of your vehicle?
- What are the basic steps needed for maintaining a heavy-duty vehicle?
- What would you do if you a meet an accident due to someone else’s mistake?
- Suppose a client speaks rudely with you because you didn’t arrive on time. How would you react?
- Have you ever missed any deadline for transporting a certain product? How did you cover up the loss caused by this delay?
- How many countries/states have you visited during the course of your career as a Truck Driver?
- How do you ensure the safety of your vehicle, the freight you are carrying, and yourself?
- For how many years, have you been driving professionally as a Truck Driver?
- Describe the longest journey you ever made while transporting a product? Did you stay alert the whole time?
- What are your thoughts on the slip-seating setup?
- How punctual are you on a scale of 1 to 10?
- Which tools do you use for navigational purposes? How much experience do you have with logs and roadmaps?
- How do you stay alert during your drive? Have you ever lost concentration while driving? How did you regain control over yourself?
- How were your relationships with the previous clients? Were they satisfied with your performance?
- Suppose the dispatcher has given you wrong information regarding the delivery of certain freight. The client becomes furious due to the delay caused by incorrect information. How will you deal with this situation? Who will be liable for the losses caused by the delay?