Browse through our finance clerk interview questions and make the task of screening the best contenders a breeze. Get these questions onto your list and pick the potential candidate for your company.
Finance Clerk Interview Questions
The job of finance clerks is to perform administrative tasks and carry out financial transactions. Calculating taxes, maintaining billing records and processing receipts are also their tasks.
For this role, an accounting degree is not usually required, but candidates should have familiarity with financial regulations such as Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). Exceptional mathematical skills are also required for this profile. While interviewing, test the knowledge of contenders in MS Excel and Google Sheets.
This individual will handle sensitive financial data and will also keep organized records. So, it is wise to look for the individual who exudes professionalism. Your ideal candidate will be the one who is detail oriented and good in multitasking.
Pay attention to those who prefer structured work environment with organized procedures as they will stay motivated while performing repetitive tasks. Make sure you evaluate contenders’ communication and customer service skills if this role involves talking to clients.
Have a look at these finance clerk interview questions to pick the best one from the crowd.
Operational and Situational questions
- Suppose you have to retrieve data from a spreadsheet, and there are some formulas that you are unable to recognize. How would you tackle this situation?
- How would you respond if a co-worker asks to see the expense reports of another department?
- What would you do if you realized that you made a mistake in a report?
- Can you tell what kind of information you would need to compile a report on accounts receivable?
- Suppose our system broke down when you were in the middle of the transaction. What would you do at that time? Also, what would you tell a customer who was waiting for the transaction to go through?
- Can you tell the first thing that you would check if you found a billing discrepancy?
- What would you do if by chance your manager gave you inadequate instructions for a process you were unfamiliar with?
- What are your primary duties as a Finance Clerk?
- Name the accounting softwares you have used.
- Can you tell about the recordkeeping system that you utilize to ensure records stay confidential?
- Explain the process of a bank reconciliation.
- How do you ensure data entry accuracy?
- Mention the types of documents that you need to verify an invoice.
- How do you keep yourself when doing repetitive tasks?
- Can you tell how you prioritize your work when having multiple duties?
- How do you stay up-to-date with new financial regulations and laws?
- Explain the time when you completed a project on a tight deadline. Can you tell how did you organize your schedule to make sure you would not fall behind?