The below given Payroll Specialist interview questions will help you in setting up a great interview process. These questions will help you assess skills and qualities you need for this position.
Payroll Specialist Interview Questions
Payroll Specialists can be recruited for in-house requirements or for consultancies who are outsourced by other companies for the payroll. Payroll/accounting experience is given preference. An experience of handling customers is also beneficial, whether they have dealt with internal or external clients.
A Payroll Specialist should be good with numbers. In order to be successful, they need to have strong communication skills, organizational ability, attention to detail and ability to maintain confidentiality. Things get tiresome around payroll time, so managing stress is crucial. You can ask the below given situational and behavioral questions to check these qualities.
If you don’t have time to train freshers, look for candidates who have relevant experience of doing the same type of work. For example, Payroll Specialists who work with public organizations may need more detailed knowledge of legislation or procedures, others may need experience in the same industry.
Operational and Situational questions
- How do you make sure certain attendance sheets are reported on time?
- If you have two clients in your office at the same time, how would you handle them?
- An employee complains of getting less pay than the agreed amount. How would you investigate this?
- What would your first week’s agenda be if we hire you? ·
- If an employee asks salary of his colleague, what would you say?
- What type of reports do you prepare?
- What do you know about FLSA?
- How do you stay updated with changes in IRS regulations?
- What is included in local taxes withholdings?
- What payroll source documents do you need?
- Do you have any experience of working with union contracts?
- What do you know about Kronos? Which software do you use in your current company?
- How do you ensure accuracy when recording employee data?
- Tell me about a time you improved a payroll process.
- Tell me about a time when you had difficulty collaborating with a team member. What issues did you face?
- Tell me about a time when you felt pressurized and stressed at work. How did you manage the situation?
- Have you ever failed to provide excellent customer service? What went wrong?
- How do you share a negative news with your clients?