IT Consultant Position Overview
For a business to make efficient use of the latest technologies, it is imperative to get an expert IT Consultant on board. From implementing a new software to replacing an existing one, or perhaps customizing a software precisely as per your organization’s goals and requirements, an IT Consultant can help handle all of these challenging tasks. He will help you navigate your options, will facilitate implementation, and ensure that everyone in the team is up and running with your new technology solution.
Qualifications to look for:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or IT
- For a senior role, Master’s/MBA is preferred
Look for the candidates whose portfolio is relevant to your company size as well as projects. Team players with excellent communication and problem-solving skills must be preferred.
Have a look at these IT consultant interview questions to gauge the skills of the potential contenders.
Operational and Circumstantial interview questions
- How do you evaluate the needs of a business?
- According to you, what is the measure of a project’s success?
- What is the first step that you take when starting a new project?
- How do you deal with people who are not tech savvy?
- Suppose you make a recommendation you think will be beneficial for your clients but they do not welcome it. What will you do?
- What measures will you take if asked to deal with a virus infection?
- What if a client wants to implement a new system, which was recommended by an external party? How will you ensure that it is the right choice?
Job-specific interview questions
- Have you ever worked on projects related to Application Development?
- What do you think makes you a good IT Consultant?
- Are you familiar with Python, C++, Java, etc.?
- Explain your experience with white box testing.
- Are you familiar with Oracle?
- Do you have experience consulting with companies our size?
- We use [insert software] in our company. Do you have any experience with it?
- How do you keep yourself updated with the recent IT developments and trends?
- How do you ensure confidentiality?
Behavioral interview questions
- Was there any time when you found it challenging to get the members understand a system? Elaborate the problem you faced and how you handled it?
- What is your biggest success as an IT consultant?
- Give an example of a problem you solved that helped your client extensively?
- Explain the time when you helped in implementing a network infrastructure. Did you face any issues? How did you solve them?
- How do you stay on the track when you undertake multiple projects with tight deadlines?