Screen the best candidate for your organization by asking these carefully curated Technical Writer interview questions.
Considerations for Hiring a Technical Writer
Writing is one of the most important skills required to properly convey ideas and concepts. Thus a Technical Writer plays a crucial role in presenting the ideas of your company in an innovative way.
These professionals will be responsible for creating high-quality documentation that is appropriate for its intended audience. They have to write easy-to-understand user interface text and developer guides while working along with the internal team.
Qualifications to look for
- A Bachelor’s degree in any discipline
Skills to look for
- Strong writing and communication skills
Operational and Situational Questions
- What guidelines did you follow to start a project like PQR (work sample)?
- What was your role in developing this PQR?
- Walk me through a time when you worked on a technical writing project with a cross-functional team.
- Who else did you work with on this PQR? What were their roles?
- How long did it take to complete PQR?
- Explain one of your most successful works.
Technical Writer Questions
- What do you know about our target audience?
- How quickly can you learn to use a new tool?
- By what means do you stay up to date with the latest industry news?
- Which software tools do you use on a daily basis?
- How comfortable are you with conducting field visits to learn more about the product?
- Name the tools that you bring when you interview subject matter experts.
- Do you have experience with interviewing subject matter experts?
- Describe a time you received constructive criticism from your editor. Why was it helpful?
- Was there a time you received negative criticism from your editor? How did you handle it?