Quality Assurance (QA) Engineer Position Overview
Quality Assurance Engineers have a great impact on a company’s bottom line. They make sure the end-product is as polished as possible before hitting the market. From editing the code to testing an application’s usability, QA Engineers perform all the tasks to ensure that customers receive quality service.
Qualifications to look for:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Software Design.
Skills to look for:
- Knowledge of software QA methodologies, processes and tools
- Understanding of SQL and scripting
- Knowledge of the latest advancement and trends in Quality Assurance
Experience to look for:
- Working experience in Software Development and Software Quality Assurance
As the role of a QA engineer is critical to the growth and success of a business, you just can’t focus only on experience. You need to gauge their logical and critical thinking skills as well. The right interview questions will bring out specific qualities and expertise that might otherwise not be apparent.
Hence, we have compiled some key questions to ask a potential prospect when hiring for the position of Quality Assurance Engineer.
QA Engineer Computer Science Interview Questions
- How will you differentiate Quality Assurance (QA) from Quality Control (QC) and Software Testing?
- Do you know about smoke testing?
- Differentiate between verification and validation.
- Where should we conduct regression testing?
- Which tests are best to be performed on web-based applications?
QA Engineer Role-Specific Interview Questions
- Explain the bug life cycle.
- What kind of software automation problems have you faced?
- What approach do you use to choose the applications for testing?
- What do you know about designing the test frameworks for UI testing?
- What is an effective test strategy according to you?
- How do you conclude that you have tested enough?
- Mention the testing tools that you have used so far.
- Describe your experience with object-oriented programming languages.
- What can be a viable test case for a remote desktop feature?
QA Engineer Behavioral Interview Questions
- Describe an experience where you effectively collaborated with developers to set up a program or application.
- Do you remember any incident when you acted proactively to increase system performance?
- How do you keep yourself updated with industry developments? Do you read any specific blogs or follow forums?