IT Manager Position Overview
From excel crashing to configuring new computer systems, an IT manager is the person in charge of all the big and small issues concerning the IT systems in an organization. An IT Manager supervises, manages and improves the IT system operations. They implement new computer systems and configure the old ones to meet company requirements.
Qualifications to look for:
- A bachelor’s degree Computer Science or Information Systems
- MBA degree is a plus
- Relevant certifications like MCP and PMP are also preferred
Experience to look for:
- Required experience varies with the size of the IT department
- Industry experience may be required
Skills to look for:
- Analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Technical acumen
- Communication and interpersonal skills
- Leadership and organizational can-do
- Budgeting, staff scheduling, and project management
Browse through our IT manager interview questions and identify the contenders who best fit your organizational requirements.
Operational and circumstantial interview questions
- What are the essential duties of an IT Manager?
- What do you take into consideration while making budget decisions?
- What process do you follow to gather system and user requirements?
- How do you negotiate for new hardware or software?
- What are the steps that you take to ensure secure storage of confidential data?
- Have you ever implemented major improvements to an IT infrastructure?
- We would like to install a new software system. Explain your research methodology and the steps that you will follow before the final deployment of the software?
- How will you guide a new team member?
- How do you make a cost analysis report for company’s computer systems?
Job-specific interview questions
- What is the most efficient way to improve network security?
- Explain the troubleshooting process you would follow for a crashing program.What do you mean by disaster recovery plan?
- Are you familiar with IT tracking software? Explain how is this software used to monitor remote systems?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of cloud applications?
- Mention some Information Analysis systems that you have worked with.
Behavioral interview questions
- How do you keep yourself updated with the latest technology trends?
- Recall a time when you had to explain technical details to a non-technical audience. How did you adjust your presentation?
- Explain a time when one of your team members was underperforming. How did you motivate him?
- Describe the most complex project that you have managed? What was your role in it and how did you manage to deliver it on time?