Are you looking for a suitable candidate for the profile of Accounting Supervisor in your company? Check out following Accounting Supervisor interview questions that will help you identify the right candidate for this challenging position.
Accounting Supervisor Interview Questions
The responsibilities of an Accounting Supervisor is to administer financial procedures such as accounts payable/receivable, tax audits and bank reconciliations. Another important duty of an Accounts Supervisor is to manage a team of accountants and also ensure that the operations of the accounting department run seamlessly. Consider profiles of individuals proficient in accounting software and financial transactions, especially those in senior-level positions.
Make sure you test their analytical skills and the ability to handle a large amount of numerical data. You can also consider including an assignment. This will help you in evaluating their skills and experience in creating reports and managing spreadsheets.
Qualifications to look for
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance
- Optional relevant certification in CPA or CMA
Skills to look for
- Technical competence
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to work in a team
- Management skills
As this profile requires team management skills, look for someone with leadership qualities. Here’s a list of Accounting Supervisor interview questions that will assist you in hiring the potential one for your organization.
Operational and Situational questions
- What measures will you take on discovering an invoice discrepancy?
- Describe a typical work week for an Accounting Supervisor.
- If you found a mistake in a report you prepared, and your manager did not notice it, what would you do?
- How will you train Junior Accountants on advanced financial tools and topics?
- What would be the goals that you would set for your team during your first year? How would you keep track of your progress?
- How would you check a report for numerical errors?
- What is your role in regular tax audits?
- Name the accounting software that you use.
- What reports and invoices do you gather and manage during the year-end closing?
- Explain the metrics you use to prepare the annual budget of the department?
- Explain the time when your attention to detail saved you from making a mistake (for example in a forecasting report).
- Describe a situation you needed to use data to prove a point?
- How do you keep yourself up-to-date with the changes in accounting legislation?
- Was there a time when you encouraged your team members to achieve goals? Mention the team management techniques you have used.
- Explain the most complex financial project you have worked on. Describe how you overcame the difficulties?