Principal Interview Questions
These Principal teacher interview questions will help you in finding the best Principal for your school.
Jump to section:
Principal Interview Questions
Hiring a Principal usually involves a group of trustees The recruitment committee decides the important requirements based on present needs and the future goals. The same committee manages the hiring process. Candidates for this position are usually interviewed by the board members first before proceeding to one-on-one interviews.
Use below-given interview questions to start the interview that helps you know a lot about the candidate. These questions will help you to assess your candidates’ practical experience as educationalists and their overall ability to administer teaching and learning at your school.
In a school, no role or position is as important and responsible as that of a Principal. These interviews are important for evaluating hard skills as thoroughly as the soft skills. Yes, you need to look at their prior experience of operating and running a school effectively. Check, if they can hire, train and develop teachers? How good are they in interacting with parents? Can they shape the culture of the school in a positive manner, creating a safe and disciplined learning environment?
Operational and Situational questions
- What do you know about our school’s improvement plan? How do you think you can add to the plan?
- Describe your vision of the best (elementary/middle/high) school.
- Describe your leadership style.
- How much do you rate yourself as a disciplinarian, on a scale of 1-10?
- Tell me about a situation that you handled with great tact and sensitivity. What was the issue and the final outcome?
- How do you keep your teachers motivated?
- What qualities are a must in a teacher? How do you check them when hiring new teachers for your school?
- Tell me about a time when you made an unpopular decision. How people around you reacted to it?
- How do you handle complains of lack of administrative support?
- If you are asked to give one tip to new teachers, what would that be?
- How are teacher’s evaluation and student achievement are related?
- How can teachers improve their methods of instruction?
- What is your approach when it comes to giving constructive feedback to the teachers?
- What are the best classroom management strategies?
- How do you fill the gap between advantaged and disadvantaged students?
- On what basis do you decide that a parent organization is effective?
- Tell me about a time when you involved a parent in disciplining a student.
- Have you ever reprimanded a teacher after a student’s complaint?
- Tell me about a time when you found a student harassing other students. How did you handle it?
- What new activities or services did you establish at your previous school?
- What would you do if extracurricular activities were at risk of being phased out due to low budget?
- How can we improve our involvement with the community?
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of our school?