The year 2022 is seeing the rise of two major technical trends: Digital transformation and the Hybrid work model. Thanks to the human-centric solution of DevOps Automation, organizations are able to transform into better business models with reduced incidents and reports. In short, data capture and collaboration have only gotten better because of DevOps and Automation practices.
As a mainstream feature of the digital economy, DevOps Automation provides effective solutions in the areas of CI/CD, performance monitoring, and reporting systems. According to Manisha Sahasrabudhe, Director of Product at JFrog, “Continuous Integration and Delivery are crucial to help you accelerate your (DevOps) release cycles and innovate faster before anyone else. In this regard automation is the only way to bring some method to madness.”
What is the Role of DevOps Automation all about?
The role of DevOps Automation is in charge of implementing technology for facilitating feedback loops between operations and development teams. One of the main goals of this role is to ensure that iterative updates can be deployed faster to applications in production.
In the words of Jared Murrell, retired GitHub Chief, DevOps Automation is a collaboration of human endeavor. Because DevOps is all about the culture and Automation is the method of implementing that culture. That’s why a DevOps Automation enthusiast must be aware that there is no one right version of DevOps. Instead, the model changes from enterprise to enterprise.
Why is this role in high demand?
The 2022 Forrester’s Future of the DevOps Report says DevOps Automation is the default approach for most software-intensive organizations today that has made a real and sustained impact. That’s why it has an increasing effect on enterprise’s IT operating models that want to produce digital value and improve business resilience. Therefore, DevOps Automation is more than running a docker run command for automating application deployment.
According to Bain Insights, the volume of job openings in DevOps has grown by a whopping 443% in the last 3 years!
The blend of DevOps and Automation (along with Agile and Git) only means one thing. More and more roles in this sector in the coming years to come. Puppet’s DevOps automation outfit survey reports that an automation engineer with a DevOps mindset is likely to earn a significant growth in his salary earnings than otherwise.
As per Glassdoor estimates, the national average salary for a DevOps Automation professional in the USA is $1,05,428 per year with an added compensation between $2,573 – $30,357.
Continuous integration and delivery are the heart of DevOps. Here are some of the KPIs that help us measure the magnanimity of DevOps culture in an organization.
- Availability and Uptime
- Deployment Frequency
- Deployment Time
- Failed Deployment Rate
- Time to Detection
- Mean Time to Recovery
- Lead Time
- Defect Escape Rate
- Defect Volume
- Automated Tests Passed Percentage
DevOps Automation is at the center of the software development model for any tech enterprise. But what does a DevOps Automation Expert do? We have covered the job description just for you. Take a look at the template:
- Work in proximity with orchestration/API, client development teams and architects to design, and build new back- end applications.
- Deploy software to new platforms and maintain multiple environments from Development to Production
- Provision environments and perform initial configuration for newly on-boarded integrations
- Drive improvements to automated deployment solutions and proactive monitoring across environments
- Work on installing a DevOps mentality and best practices throughout the development cycle
- Develop app management tools and monitors
- Work with developers to build out CI/CD pipelines, enable self-service build tools and reusable deployment jobs
- Participate in the analysis of and document requirements for the development of new or improvement of existing infrastructure automation (“infrastructure as code”) and cloud integration solutions
- Work with WebLogic, JBoss, Tomcat Application servers
- Act as a subject-matter expert for company products
- How are DevOps and Automation related to one another?
- What is meant by DevSecOps automation?
- What are the differences between DevOps and DevSecOps?
- Name some popular DevOps automation tools
- Why is selenium so popular in the DevOps Community?
- What happens if you over-automate?
- What are the benefits of DevOps Automation?
- When do you begin functional and regression testing?
- Does Automation entirely eradicate manual testing?
- Name any 3 important DevOps Automation KPIs
Best practices for hiring DevOps Automation Manager
A DevOps Automation role needs somebody who can lead the digital transformation through CI/CD and release cycles .’ Since it is an evolving field, even hiring managers are perplexed about the right type of assessments for the role.